Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Little More Inspiration


After participating in the Inspiration Blogest, hosted by Summer Ross (see my previous post), I had the pleasure of learning what inspired others, so I thought I’d take some time to share what inspires me.

I’ve said before (and I’ll probably say again) that music is very important to me. I’ll sometimes put a song on repeat and make up a story to go along with it. Here’s a song that I can close my eyes and visualize all sorts of things to go along with:



Seeing a good book or movie can often motivate me to write, and bad ones can sometimes make me want to write as well (he did what? It would have been so much better if he had done this instead). 

I have been exposed to so many wonderful stories, but my all time favorite remains the Lord of the Rings. While I haven't written anything at all similar Tolkien, it sometimes helps me to remember all the little things that go into making a whole world (history, politics, places, clothing, etc.) and that it is possible to create one! 




Places can also be very inspiring. I seem to always come up with new story ideas when I go to new places, or back to somewhere I haven’t been in a long time. Here are a few pictures I took when I spent a semester in England:

(I lied. This one is actually from Scotland)



And then there are people. People are probably the most important source of inspiration for me, whether they be a stranger I catch a glimpse of on a crowded street, or one of my best friends, they often give me new ideas for characters. 
(My sister, me, and one of my friends during a photo shoot my aunt did for my 18th birthday)


And of course, pictures are a great source of inspiration! I waste hours googling inspiration for sci-fi and fantasy pieces. Feel free to be inspired by any of the above pics. :)

8 comments:

  1. Music is one of my great inspirations too. Love all the pics you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loves those pictures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music and movies definitely inspire me, too. I love Regina Spektor's song in 500 Days of Summer. That soundtrack and movie both get my creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, I'm glad you liked them :)

    Phil- I haven't actually seen 500 days of Summer, but I just googled it and it looks pretty good, so I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how long that house in Scotland has been standing? How much longer can it hold on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little mossy house! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your added inspiration, especially what you said about your favorite book. Although the genre may be different, we can reach into great stories and pull out tidbits to put in our own stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with your photos, they almost look like somewhere from Middle Earth hehehe

    ReplyDelete